Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Truth in conversation

While taking a bus home from the University of Minnesota the other day I sat next to a young man from France. I remember beginning the typical intellectual conversation that rides home on the dedicated university bus usually provide. However, something was different this time. I noticed my conversation partner drawing me into a debate. I initially tried to find points of agreement, but then I was quickly served with a "but" or "however". I soon realized the nature of interaction would be a polite debate. For the uninitiated, a polite debate is one typical of a cafe in Paris or a coffee shop in Vienna. The conversations are philosophical and challenging. I relished this chance and enjoyed debating the role of the West for the next seven minutes.

Many French people I have met seem to have a more nuanced handle on the art of conversation. I find myself debating more, making connections between various concepts more, and discussing things for their own sake more often with people from France. Perhaps it is due to the salon culture, perhaps it is due to the extended vacations or longer lunches. Something in the French culture places value on conversation, ideas, and the "the world of forms" as Plato would call it. An American may respond to this form of conversation by saying, "Less talk, more action."

In The Geography of Thought Nisbett argues that the West's conversational culture is rooted in Mediterranean and especially Greek geography. Because Greece was a mixing pot of various cultures that developed on the surrounding islands and across the navigable Mediterranean sea, the culture needed to develop a way to explore an acceptable truth across cultures. They did this by separating ideas from identities. This way people from two cultures could disagree with each others ideas, but not resent each others identities.

The result of this geography is still experienced today in my conversation with the gentleman from France. As one who enjoys debate, but who is also sensitive to face saving, I am glad the West developed a way to separate ideas from identities.

Intercultural Tip: If you think you are just chatting, keep in mind that the function of conversation is different in different cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment