Thursday, March 11, 2010

Shots, Drugs and Pocket Hole

Went to the travel doctor today with Jessi. This is the first time in my adult life I have been in the privacy of a doctors office with another person. I was able to show my brave face as I was getting stuck with a bunch of needles. I presented my yellow fever card which has now become the sole record of my immunization history. The last record was a fax of a copy. How can something so important be left on such a flimsy piece of paper. There must be an app for that.
I chose malarone as my malaria drug of choice. It will cost about 500 dollars for the whole trip, however I will not have the hair trigger inexplicable anger I experienced last time in Africa.
I remember one time Jessi and I were in central Togo. We had taken a taxi far north from the capital city to spend time with a group of people called the Tamberma or Ditamari. I was sleeping in the hot central hut of the mud fortress and woke up. I remember seeing Jessi and my mind was thinking threat or no threat. It was like I was seeing her with new animal eyes, that categorized things only in terms of threats.
I will be glad to be taking anti malarials with less side effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment