Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Upside down paradigm

Lets turn the common view of westerners going to Africa on its head shall we? Imagine if instead of bringing aid to Africa, I returned from Africa bearing aid for my village in America. What would that look like? Perhaps I bring back a useful way to repair things to make them last longer. I know the re-cycle shop here in uptown might use a useful fix up for old bikes.
Perhaps I can bring aid to America's transactional relationships that occur in retail commercial areas. The retail proletariat that works in uptown would benefit from having customers treat them like human beings with thoughts and ideas, not just functional beings that bag groceries and make sandwiches.
Perhaps I can bring aid to solve the jobless recovery. What would I have to see in my travels to solve that crisis?
Western media is filled with images of what Africa needs to get better. I wonder if Africans were the hegemonic power in the world, what ails in America would they seek to remedy?
I will bring Aid from Africa to help my village. With me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment