Sunday, June 13, 2010

Hammar Hitchhike, Facial Expression, First Times



Why do I love this photo so much? It seems to capture a moment. When two people from two worlds look at each other and both are like, wow, what is expected of me in this particular social situation. Let me start from the beginning.
I was in this car driving from one village near Turmi to Dimeka. There was a Hammar woman on the side of the road. As we passed her she was waiving her hands. I figured there was only one place to go on a Saturday in this region and that was the Dimeka market. Since we had some extra space in the car, I asked the driver to stop so we could give the lady a ride.--You know there are certain conventions, that we learn when we are very young and do them all the time, so we just think they are natural like breathing or sneezing? One of the reasons I love international and intercultural travel is to bring those conventions into light and reveal them as what they are, unnatural learned behaviors that are practiced in my particular culture.--Once the lady walked up to our stopped car she stood outside it looking in the window. Had she decided against hitching a ride with us? Was she afraid of our foreign faces? Was she wondering what she would have to pay for the ride? After a while I figured that she did not know how to open a door. So I opened it for her and waved her in. The whole experience transpired in less than two minutes, but was earth shattering in what it revealed. Had this woman never opened up a car door before? Is this her first time in a car?
When she came into the car to sit on the seat, her movement was very deliberate and kind of a jerky motion. Like you and I would have saddled a camel or entered a tuk-tuk. Maybe she had never lifted herself into a car and onto a car seat before. This very well could have been her first time.
Once she was in the car, I tried to make light conversation. I didn't know any of the local language, but I figured the names of towns would be the same. "We are going to Dimeka" I say, hoping for some acknowledgment. --nothing. "Dimeka" I repeat again. --Nothing. Then I say about how we are going to Key Afar next, again relying on the assumption that the sounds of these town names are similiar in the language. She looks at me and makes this face at the driver which is unmistakeable. It is the kind of shy, stifled smile face that says, "This whole experience is pretty wild, but I really don't know what the heck is going on." I know, because I have made this face many times while traveling the world. Its nice that as humans, we still share many of the same facial expressions.
As a side note, did you know that until Paul Ekman did his work in the 1970s, people thought facial expressions were culturally programmed? Common, look at this video and tell me that this is not a universal face for, "WTF"

1 comment:

  1. "I refuse to believe that you met a people who had not had experience with a car before"--Alex's intercultural friend.
    "Yea, well maybe they did have experience with a car, but at the time they were not interested in how it works. Maybe the thing they were interested in the last time they saw the car, was getting barley out of the back. Only after they had seen a car for a few times, could they then start to think about how the door handle works. People only seem to see to notice things that concern them at the time."Alex

    ReplyDelete