Saturday, June 19, 2010

Safety Matches

When I bought matches to do some grilling, I had always wondered why box indicated "safety matches." What was so safe about these matches? Were other matches dangerous? Aren't all matches dangerous in the hands of the wrong person.
So, I concluded that the word safety on the box of matches was just there to satisfy some advertising need. Perhaps it made people feed better playing with Prometheus' creation. This I thought before I went to Uganda.
There I encountered Krishna Matches. They had a nice little picture on the matchbook of the blue Hindu Messiah smiling as he brings you the ability to make fire. After the electricity went out one day I was happy I had saved my Krishna matches to light a candle. I struck the match against the rough striking surface and the head of the match started on fire, broke off and fell into my lap. I slapped out the flame in my lap. That is when I revised my explanation of "safety" in "safety matches".

2 comments:

  1. Really interesting your explanation for matches .But i saw the various type of matches in other shops. http://www.brand4india.com/safety-match-box-suppliers/products/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw these type matches in other posts. This post says naturally. Have you explain about how to make matches?
    http://www.apexmatch.com/household-safety-matches.htm

    ReplyDelete