Monday, June 21, 2010

Marathons, Sudoku and intercultural adventure,


During an argument about the importance of first impressions and etiquette, I had to stop myself and determine why I was getting so heated about the topic. Why was I insistent on making the best impression as possible even thought it may not have mattered? In fact locals usually expect foreigners to display a certain level of ignorance with local customs, so its not like I am really going to offend people. Also, its not that I am trying to curry favor with someone, usually the person I am trying to work with has little influence over events. So what is it? I realized that it is a game that I am playing, not a little game but a game like marathon games. A game like chess game. I realize that intercultural interaction is my chess, marathons and sudoku. It is a game that I have been competing in since my first trip to Oxford.
I remember my first day in Oxford. I walked into a coffee shop and was puzzling over the coffee selections.
"What is a Canned Coffee?" I ask in my best English accent.
"Its something those Americans like."
"Well in that case I will have an espresso."
This is my first intercultural game and I scored points here. But what is it? What did I gain out of this? Why was I thrilled? I know it wasn't because I was ashamed to be an American. Nor was it because I wanted to trick people. It also wansn't because I like fitting in. Any friends from high school will attest to this. What I realized was that her assumption that I was not American proved that I had accurately "code switched". This is a term in the field to describe a shifting of language or ques that communicate on a deeper cultural level. Think shifting you guys to you all. Or shifting from "diversity initiative" to "inclusion".
Why do I like this intercultural game? Probably because it was a skill I developed while moving around the country as much as I did. People tend to like challenges they have a head start in. Besides, why do people like marathons or sudoku? It's a challenge that pushes them to the next level.
So what can one do with these intercultural skills? Lets ask Karen Armstrong. I would appreciate your comments on how this blog post connects with Armstrongs talk.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog post is about blending in in order to understand or interact with "the other" (the Brits)

    Her talk is about directing religions to assert that their foundation is compassion and to implicitly acknowledge that they are the same; according to her thesis they only have surface differences. She seeks not to understand this cultural force of religion, but to shape it.

    I only see differences.

    ReplyDelete