Monday, May 23, 2011

American Negotiation

One thing traveling in a developing country does to you is develop your sense of what is possible. As I mentioned in previous blogs, everything is negotiable. This realization of the possibility sticks with me weeks after I return. Little did the agent at the rental car agency know.
I got this call on the phone asking if I had received the packet of information regarding damage to the rental car I had recently rented in Denver. I mentioned that I did not and it turns out that they had sent it to the wrong address. I rented that car several weeks ago, but I remember my interaction at the return station. The car check in person noticed a small indentation in the hood of my car and mentioned I would be getting a phone call. I didn't respond at the time because I was focused on catching a flight. But, here was the call, several weeks later and I was ready.
Because you Intercultural Adventurers know from the post

Negotiation in a land where "Nothing is available, but everything is possible"


that all things are negotiable, I will structure this post similarly.

Indian Step One: Order Chai.
In India, I ordered chai for various reasons. But this tactic was not available. I wanted the same effect, so I modified. I ordered the agent to send the packet to me overnight.
This does two things
First, it enriches the power dynamic. He may be able to order me to pay for damages, but I can still order that he send the packet to the correct address.
Second, I am acknowledging the culture of an agent in a call center. Having worked in a call center myself as a kid, I remember that following the process was all I was allowed to do. I could do something extra, such as overnight a package, if it was contributing to the process.

Indian Step Two: Interrupted for advice.
Again, I needed to modify this for the more direct culture. I asked the agent if he was from Denver.
My intent with this question was as follows.
First, it subtlety establishes the fact that he was no where near the event and does not know the details of the car, the agency or the employees in question.
Second, it gives the negotiation time to breathe. It lets the agent know that this will not be a pro forma interaction.
Third. When one asks questions, they are establishing a power dynamics. Think of cop movies, "We are the ones asking the questions here."

American Step: Debate.
This is something I learned not to do in most other countries. In the rest of the world, deals happen because of relationships between individuals, not the salience of points won in honest non-personal debate, matter. But with this agent, I was on my home turf.
First attack the subject of the matter: "I disagree with the allegation that there is damage. While I did notice something on the hood of the car after the check in person pointed it out. It was invisible in most light conditions, and I had to bend over to see what the person talking about."

Second attack the process: "Furthermore I disagree that the way in which I was held liable for damage to the vehicle. When I rented out the car, the sales agent held report where I should have been able to indicate previous damage to the car. On top of that the sales agent quickly walked me around the car. Had I been given the report or given the time to fully inspect the vehicle, I may have noticed the small indentation on the hood.

Third, feign insult while demanding credibility. "I didn't jump on the hood or park my car under trees with falling branches. Furthermore, I would not wipe off the evidence such as marks or scratches on the car if that were the case. I would own up to it. I don't even know what caused this indentation"

Indian Step Three: Flatter
While flattery in America will not get you as far as in other countries, face saving is still something to consider. After all, if I were to get this guy angry, he could come after me as a matter of spite. After all, he has nothing vested in the entire case. "I know you are just doing your job and you don't make the rules. But damage was there before I rented the car and the process for determining that I am liable is weak. You can't control these things. " On top of this, I wanted to give him a way to take the high road, or at least tell his boss that he took the high road. "This is my first rental car experience with your company. I have many years left in my rental car life. I am going to rent a car in the future, so I don't know that, from a business perspective this is really worth it. Anyway send the paperwork my way and we will see what happens."

I got a call 20 minutes later
"We determined the damage to the vehicle to be pre-existing."

Intercultural Tip: Your experience in other cultures are not locked there. Integrate what works.

No comments:

Post a Comment