Thursday, May 12, 2011

Value

If money is an exact measure of worth, why are some bills more useful than others? If ones and fives are more desired than a $50 or $100, shouldn't the bill's worth be reflected in its monitory value?
This question leads one toward contemplating how value is assigned and culturally shaped.

When traveling to another country, I find that things that previously had little to no value, suddenly become very valuable.

TOILET PAPER: In many countries, toilet paper is not provided at toilets. This is not only true in my experience in Ghana and Ethiopia, but also in one of the largest economies in the world, Japan. Public toilets or even private toilets in all but the fanciest of restaurants, do not have toilet paper. In Japan, people collect tissue paper attatched to flyers passed out at the train station, in the rest of the countries I have been too, TP is sold at each little convenience store and one ought to carry around some at all times.
While in India, TP, its whereabouts occupied a more significant part of my conscious mind than it is usually afforded. A pocket or bag full of TP brought on a feeling of confidence, much like a stocked fridge or full tank of gas. While a lack of TP was a source of discomfort. If we were to visit a nice restaurant or hotel, we were always impressed with the free toilet paper. "How luxurious" we could comment, with only a hint of sarcasm.

SOAP: There were only a few times in India where I found soap available at the sink. Oh, and the delight it became once I found it. Seeing the grime wash away after scrubbing my hands was a great feelings. As the sink turned dark brown, it was almost like I could see my chances for getting sick wash down the drain.

CHANGE: I forgot how the developing world seems to lack small bills. It is in the economic interests, to tell foreigners that due change is not available in the hopes that they would walk away. After all what is an extra ten rupees to a foreigner? Well it is a lot to this one who hates being cheated. I made sure to stockpile as many small Rupees as I could. All these extra bills started to become evident in my pocket. So eventually I started using two pockets. One was my Rapstar pocket filled with a big wad of bills, the other one my Improvstar pocket filled with small change.

HYGIENIC FOOD: While I understand that hygiene standards are different in kitchens around the world, I was surprised to see this advertised more than once. Can you imagine this being a advertising point? "Delicious South Indian and Mugali Hygienic Food".

I imagine what sort of things Indians take for granted and need to search for here in the United States. Relational commercial interactions? People knowing your name at a local establishment? Attentive service?

Intercultural Tip: As you are adjusting to things you once took for granted, remember you will start to take new things for granted.

2 comments:

  1. Alex, how do people have room to carry around toilet paper? Does it come in little packages like kleenex? I never even thought of this! I will definitely take some TP with me to India :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stock-piled napkins and kept some in my purse all the time in India... especially important for train trips... I guess once you master the local techniques of the WC, then it's not as big a deal, but it's still unsettling knowing that everyone in India's left hand is unfit for shaking 100% of the time...

    ReplyDelete