Sunday, May 15, 2011

Negotiation in a land where "Nothing is available, but everything is possible"

India, where nothing is available, but everything is possible. When I first heard this aphorism from a traveler who had spend nearly a year in India, I found that it did not represent my experience. Everything I needed seemed available, my flight, my accommodations and my new favorite breakfast parathas, in the morning. As time wore on though, I started to see the wisdom in this pithy saying.
A pattern started to develop whenever I inquired about long journeys.

"How can I take a train to Agra from here"
"It is not possible, the train is all booked. You must take a private taxi."

"I need to get to the ashram, do you know the way?"
"The ashram is closed, you should stay at this nice hotel and go tomorrow."

"I am going to the booking office, it's upstairs right?"
"The booking office is not accepting visitors today. But there is a new booking office this way, come follow me."

"I am looking for a reasonably priced way to enjoy India."
"Reason is closed, why not try my significantly overpriced way?"


Actually, having dealt with the "nothing is available" trick before in South East Asia, West and East Africa, and Detroit, I have developed some competencies.

When I needed to get out of town one day I successfully navigated the difficult terrain of getting a booking agent to order me regular train tickets and accept the standard commission.

Step One:
Order Chai.
Chai or tea, is how business gets done in India. In other countries, the drink is different, but the notion is the same. By me ordering Chai I am doing several things.
First, I am indicating that I will be sitting there for at least the durration of the drink.
Second, I am initiating a local ritual thereby showing respect and knowledge of the local custom. If things start to go poorly, I could always suggest "Listen, I sat down and ordered Chai, don't treat me like an idiot that knows nothing of India."
Third, by me ordering the Chai, it starts to enrich the power dynamic between me and the booking agent. While I do have the rupees and the power to walk out, the booking agent has local knowledge and the ability to trick me. Me ordering chai, increases my power because I am requesting a favor, but it also increases the agents power of proving me a favor.

Step Two:
Interrupt for advice.
While the agent was going through his rehearsed script telling me how impossible it would be to book regular train tickets and how awful the train is anyway, I interrupted him to ask a seemingly banal question. "Which is better the Golden Temple or the Taj Mahal?"
This does three things.
First, by interrupting him I am increasing negotiation power stance.
Second, by asking a unrelated question, it suggests, but does not explicitly call attention to the fact, that I know he is feeding me a line.
Third, by asking his opinion on a matter of taste, I am treating him as a person with opinions versus just a person who books tickets and pushes buttons.

Step Three:
Flatter
I am playing a game and the agent is playing a game. At this point, we both realize that we are players. The agent is probably disappointed that I am rejecting his story that the train is unavailable. As he was booking the train tickets, his ego could even be a little wounded. By the vary act of booking tickets easily, he is admitting that he was less than truthful regarding the availability and difficulty of booking train tickets. Flattery is the gentle push that will keep the inertia going in my direction. I noted the fresh paint in the office, and remarked how nice it was. It turned out the agent was rather proud of the painting job. He had brought someone in from the local big town to do the job.


Intercultural Tip: Set prices and standard policies disguise the fact that everything is negotiable.

2 comments:

  1. I like the way that you try to understand the local people and deal things with them in their way. That is the spirits! I know such cheating things happen a lot in China. I wish their cheating behaviors was only money-driven. Poor could change human's soul. Difficult life makes them do immoral things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Impressed Alex. Keep writing, as I learned a ton from this entry

    ReplyDelete