Friday, April 16, 2010

Being and Nothingness and Honey

I had been walking though the market today. A market of fish guts, hair salons, fabric, fruit, and fun. I saw all these flys and bees swarming around this one stall and had to check it out. Initially, I thought it would be some sort of bucket that traps insects so people could eat them later, just like the grasshoppers a while ago, but in fact it was just honey. I asked the lady and she opened the honey pot which was also full of bees swimming for their lives. I asked if people eat the bees and she said no, then I asked for 2000 shillings worth of honey. I got a little plastic sac full of honey and one live bee just for good measure. I walked around the market some more and started to feel a little sun stroked, my brain started to slow, eventually I was just standing at an intersection desperation trying to make my dehydrated brain decide whether to turn left or right. Just then and there a man asked me how I was doing. He was at a motorcycle repair shop, so i figured he had nothing monetary to gain by interacting with me. I said it was hot and he asked me to sit down on the bench. I sat there next to him for five minutes not talking, just sitting, just being. It made me think, this is it! This is what I try to achieve while in other places. A state where I can just be with other people, and not engage in an economic transaction, not interview them for information, just be. When I type it here on the blog, it doesn't look as significant as it felt while I was there, but I think there is something significant here. Eventually, one of his friends asked what I was doing with a live bee in a clear plastic sac. I told him it was my guard bee. After a confused look, I explain that if a robber comes to me I will release the bee and then made a gesture with my hand to indicate an angry bee chasing and stinging a robber. The joke spread through out the cycle shop. Just being and joking.

3 comments:

  1. This is such a great experience. It is lovely to hear you've had it, but greater more, that you have noticed it! You are in your groove. Sometimes it takes some solitude to see the beauty of grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abraham, MinneapolisApril 19, 2010 at 7:17 AM

    Alex, you couldn't stop making me laugh; and I am glad that you brought the Brave New Workshop's taste to this country too. So while protecting yourself against robber,do not forget that the bee bites.Hahaha! More fun to you, Alex.
    By the way Alex, I think you do not envy us having sunny days in Minneapolis, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you found your niche, when you get back here you can find that same spot inside or on a bench outside a barbershop in a small town.

    ReplyDelete