Friday, April 16, 2010

Flexibility and what?..Objectives

One of the interesting speaking patterns I have heard here in Gulu is a sort of professorial way of delivering information, but instead of explaining it, I will demonstrate it to you.
I have locked down an other intercultural skill that is necessary for effectiveness and it has to deal with flexibility. In much of the literature regarding intercultural competence, flexibility, holding judgment, and dealing with ambiguity are all skills with high value. But I have found that that being too, what?.. too flexible, is also not favorable. Yesterday, I was a little too flexible and I spent my day waiting for people and once they arrived, it was too late to accomplish the tasks I was hoping to accomplish. So to accomplish, what? Tasks, I should have taken off on foot and arrived at my destination. Why?..too accomplish what I need to do in the time I have. So it seems that the intercultural skills in not just flexibility, but it is the ability to know when to push for a conclusion, and when to go with the flow. Push for conclusion, when?.. When it involves something that needs to be done in a limited time and when you don’t have to cajole too many people. Go with the flow, when? When there are too many individuals to influence or when the stakes are low. Why?..because you don’t want to burn yourself out or ruin relationships by driving too hard for your way each time, but you also don’t want to be thinking on the plane on the way back home, I spent all my time waiting for others.

1 comment:

  1. Nice one. "There are some situations one simply cannot be neutral about, because when you are neutral you are an accomplice. Objectivity doesn't mean treating all sides equally. It means giving each side a hearing."- Amanpour.

    Ultimately, one has to make a personal position.

    ReplyDelete