Monday, April 12, 2010

Intercultural Questioning, Child Solidiers and Mud Huts

Intercultural communication tips.

With more of the world speaking English as a second language than as a first, I think it is important to distinguish the difference in how commutation can be done effectively. The first rule is that although English is limited, a person can still be very intelligent. Although this seems like a stupid observation, I find it is an important one to draw attention to. Simple words do not indicate simple thoughts. So the challenge is to ask questions in simple words, but ones which can allow for a complex response.
For example, when asking a question, I typically ask the question that I want answered instead of the literal question that I have. For example,
I have the question, what type of people build these thatched huts, how does society pass on this traditional building technique, and are only certain people building these.
This is a complex question and I am more interested in getting the answer than asking an elegant question. So I think to myself, what question is simple, quick and will provide an answer that is satisfying to my questions. I asked this one instead,
can all people build these thatched huts if they wanted too? **answer below
Walla this seemed to work. Because the person read into my question and honoured it by providing a full answer, my curiosity was satisfied.
Also, I find that providing a context is helpful for leading a person to answer the question you are curious about. For example here is one that I asked today at the World Vision Camp that provides counselling to former child soldiers:
A lot of the mental health therapies from the west. Do you provide therapy to child soldiers that involve traditional dancing or other truly Ugandan forms of therapy? **answer below
If I were to ask just the question part, in my experience, I would not gotten an answer in the direction that I was hoping for.

Answer Key

Thatched huts are part of a traditional Acholii man’s education. Boys learn to construct one and smear the outside with dark mud which makes it look beautiful.

The Ugandan forms of therapy involve traditional dance. Which provides a rhythmic way to exercise, connect with history and connect with a larger sense of family. Also, a sense of global relationship is formed by creating a pen pal network. When former child soldiers get and send mail to their pals in the US, they feel like the world cares about them. Also play therapy and art therapy are used for both assessment and therapy tools.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Alex!

    Thanks for the sharing of your thoughts. It's a thoughtful piece and I much appreciated reading it.

    Sometimes we forget that communication is two-ways. To engage with others, communication has to be meaningful to both parties. Sometimes we do not listen well enough.

    Instead of being interesting, perhaps being interested is something we should strive for?

    Keep your thoughts going. Look forward to your next posts.


    -Peckgee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for you to teach me more and then I can practice it. It is different than how I tend to get information here when I am shooting for that-like when I am talking with my clients. Everything is so open-ended and must not be leading. So this, that you talk about, is a very unique skill for interculturally communicating.
    I love that dancing, play, and art are universal and so wonderfully therapeutic. We should all do a little every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll keep that in mind when I travel next time. I tend to just ask as it comes to mind, without too much thought before hand.
    Sounds like your travels are interesting.
    I am enjoying your posts, keep them up!
    -Elly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post. I need to constantly be aware of how I phrase my questions when talking to my participants at work (pregnant and/or young moms). One false step and I won't get the truth. Ah, yes, the power of language. Peckgee, I am going to steal what you wrote about being interested instead of worrying about being interesting. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete