Thursday, April 8, 2010

Missing God's Time Auto Repair and Good Fats

While in Ghana I noticed a strong evangelical fervor that spilled into the commercial districts. I could find places like "GODS TIME AUTO REPAIR" and "Praise Him Hair Salon" and "Matthew 2:12 Bakery" but there are no such places I have discovered yet here in Kampala. In fact I am seeing less small store front churches here. Other things I am noticing that are similiar such as the illustrations of products on the walls of small businesses, corrugated tin roofing, advertisements focusing on raising a healthy family. Yea that is one thing that is interesting, it is the same as I remember in Ghana, but the advertisements that focus on health. While health in the US involves mostly stopping the obesity epidemic, the focus here is proper nutrition. One popular advertisement is for blue band which boasts a good mixture of fats and vitamins. Yes they actually boast good fats!

1 comment:

  1. It is so interesting, the difference you have noticed. At commercial district in Togo, there are many places you find the names the praise God and I think the reason behind this is to give thanks to God for the "grace" of having the opportunity to own a shop, a garage, or a business...I bet that you have noticed this when you were in Togo. Don't you? The Christian population in Ghana which was 41% in 1960 has risen rapidly to 62% compare to 45% in Uganda. I think this raise among Ghana's population would explain such difference. So, do not be surprised. I believe that the discovery of the differences is the center or at least part of your adventure. Enjoy your trip, Alex and tell us more, please.

    Abraham

    ReplyDelete