Tuesday, April 6, 2010

In Uganda: Opening my eyes.

When I arrived, I strove to make my senses super aware to take in as much as possible.  The smells in the airport were unique, a combination of different industrial cleaning materials and incense smoking out of a store. On the midnight drive back to the hotel, I heard the insects chirping in a unique way. It sounded like a long buzzer going off,almost like a computer sound. I visually overwhelmed. Despite coming and going through the door several times,  I just noticed the side door to my host family this morning. What else am I not seeing due to the overwhelming stimuli. Can I force myself to keep my mind awake to take it all in?


2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is helpful to shut out a few senses, like closing your eyes or plugging your ears, so you can focus on the others.
    And it will all come in time....think about all that we don't even know about our front porch. It is a good lesson. Sometimes dramatic music also helps you slow down and see beautiful small things. And remeber that sometimes these things, these gifts from God are just for you and you don't have to feel bad if you can't share all of them with someone else.....they are just as beautiful when they are just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the honor and pleasure of sitting next to Alex as we drove from the airport to our resting place for the night. I just love that Alex shares his intercultural passions. One of the first things he said as we drove out of the airpoort was "If you look across the field at those buildings, we could be in Europe, if you look down the road we could be in New York; we could be in any city, but if you listen, just listen, you can tell we are not at home." Alex is brilliant, amazing, and I love that your wife said that some gifts from God are just for you! So true! We can't possibly share all that happened on this trip anyway, it all too wonderful!

    ReplyDelete